We often sing the praises of the inventive, entertaining, and sometimes, celebrity-chef driven specialty restaurants on cruise ships. But some of the best culinary experiences cruising are in the main dining room, where talented chefs craft classic, favorite dishes, presented with a sense of ceremony that make dining at sea a true occasion.
Take National Chocolate Cake Day. January 27 highlights the appeal of one of the world's most popular desserts, one that's been around since 1765. A comfort food that cheers an ordinary day puts a smile on every face, and is the sweet touch that makes life's milestones all the brighter.
A rich, decadent chocolate cake is the kind of mainstay, staple dessert you find on main dining room menus on many cruise lines.
For National Chocolate Cake Day, Chef Russel Gomes from Carnival Cruise Line's Mardi Gras ship, shares a recipe for a 5-ingredient, half-hour version that means you don't have to wait til your next cruise to indulge.
Five! Simple Ingredients
9oz Semi-sweet Chocolate
Five Easy Steps
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass mixing bowl using the medium setting in a microwave, in no more than 1 minute increments at a time, til fully melted. Use a spatula to fold the butter and chocolate together til blended.
- In another mixing bowl, mix eggs and sugar and whisk for a few minutes, then add flour and whisk til there are no lumps. It's just enough to bind the ingredients, so you get that lava, molten effect, not a regular chocolate cake!
- Add the egg mix to the melted chocolate and combine, whisking constantly so the heat of the chocolate doesn't cook the eggs.
- Pour the mix in greased, individual ceramic molds. Single-serving size souffle cups if you have them, or improvise! Even small coffee cups will work.
- Set the molds in a pan with hot water in it. Put the pan in a pre-heated, 350°F oven for 20 minutes.
Place the warm cup on a plate to serve. A dusting of icing sugar, maybe a fresh strawberry, and you have a cruise ship classic dessert for a homemade celebration - or an ordinary dinner at home, to make any day National Chocolate Cake Day.
Start Your Culinary Trip!
- Ensemble Vacations Fall 2022
- 2025 Around The World With Oceania
- Another River Cruise Line to Begin Sailing on the Douro in Portugal
- The Safest Countries for Solo Women Travelers - Plus Other Top Tips
- This Year's 5 Top Adventure Travel Trends - For Fitness Fans and Everyday Travelers!
- Get the First Sneak Peek at 3 New Caribbean, Luxury All-Inclusive Resorts
- Video: Culinary School in Provence, France
- The New COVID Safety Measure Cruise Travelers will actually LOVE
- Roundup of the NEW, COVID Insurance Options for Canadian Travellers
- 7 Top Caribbean Destinations to Ring in the New Year