As of Jan 7, 2021 the Government of Canada requires those over 5 years old to have a negative COVID test prior to boarding a flight to Canada.
Effective midnight on January 7, 2021, regardless of citizenship, all travellers five years of age or older must provide proof of a negative laboratory test result for COVID-19 to the airline prior to boarding a flight to Canada. The test must be performed using one of two types of COVID-19 tests–either a molecular polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or Loop-mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP)–and must be conducted within 72 hours of the traveller’s scheduled departure to Canada.
The government will notify travellers should it become mandatory to obtain COVID tests from specific accredited laboratories or facilities. For all details regarding arrival in Canada requirements, please refer to the Government of Canada website.
Passengers are responsible for making the arrangements for their test and are responsible for all related costs. Passengers flying to Canada must also submit their COVID related information digitally via the ArriveCAN app or website before departure their departure flight to Canada. Failure to do so may result in a fine, denied boarding as well as having to quarantine at a Government facility upon arrival for 14 days.
When you enter Canada, you must:
- isolate for 14 days if you have symptoms of COVID-19 or if you know you have COVID-19
- quarantine for 14 days if you do not have symptoms
- comply with mandatory isolation or quarantine requirements – failure to comply will result in fines, penalties or imprisonment
Download the Government of Canada Quarantine flyer for more information(Note: you may be eligible for reduced quarantine requirements if you are part of the International Border Testing Pilot Program in Alberta).
Planning a trip?
If you are planning to travel or have already scheduled a trip, we strongly recommend you review the Government of Canada website and reach out to your travel advisor to ensure you are clear on the requirements.
You may also wish to review the recommendations based on your airline or tour operator:
- Ensemble Vacations Fall 2022
- 2025 Around The World With Oceania
- Another River Cruise Line to Begin Sailing on the Douro in Portugal
- The Safest Countries for Solo Women Travelers - Plus Other Top Tips
- This Year's 5 Top Adventure Travel Trends - For Fitness Fans and Everyday Travelers!
- Get the First Sneak Peek at 3 New Caribbean, Luxury All-Inclusive Resorts
- Video: Culinary School in Provence, France
- The New COVID Safety Measure Cruise Travelers will actually LOVE
- Roundup of the NEW, COVID Insurance Options for Canadian Travellers
- 7 Top Caribbean Destinations to Ring in the New Year